20.11.06

mexican miscellany.

I was just having a real corn tortilla quesadilla for breakfast this morning (an occasional indulgence...actually on three separate occasions this morning) and once again silently thanking those Corny Bakers for reuniting me with my lost love, the corn tortilla.

If you'll recall, I didn't actually get to utilize these boys in the big game last Sunday or whenever that was, but I really should've. Flour tortillas just blow, and somehow...I forgot that. I let the absence of corn tortillas cloud my judgement. As a way of "making things right", it was my duty (pronounced "deewty") to provide those tequila-addled Europeans with a real LA-style quesadilla last weekend after having served them so many flour tortillas in the past...I owed it to them, and frankly...I failed.

Luckily I succeeded in providing my own self with several this morning, so everything is OK. I just want to point out that if you're not making quesadillas with fresh corn tortillas, start doing so.

Relevant things I found on my procrastinative travels this morning: a pictorial guide to burrito folding, which includes the little-known secret third fold and made me pine for days of old, when my life revolved around arriving at Tortillas on Ponce de Leon as they opened at 12 noon, ordering a shrimp burrito with cheese and spinach and a Sam Adams, waiting 10 minutes or so with my Creative Loafing, and then entering into a dream world for the next 45 minutes or so, red and green salsas trustily at my side. And then going home for a nap. That was a good day.

Why do things have to change? Tell me that. I'm serious.

Actually I'm only half-serious. Maybe 60%. Regardless, I also looked at the Wikipedia quesadilla entry, which, while being strangely informal, is also pretty informative.

No comments: