1.12.07

the persistence of laggery.

















You know what, I suspected something like this was up, don't know why. Our best Vegetarian Duck wishes go out to Mr. Broiler, may his weight loss equal his amount of nutrition knowledge in ways that ours hasn't yet.

+++

The jet lag, it's bad. It's my own fault to some degree, I did fine the first night home, up early in the morning, hit the gym, etc. But that dang Circle show, while excellent, has thrown my loop off by a beat or two for the past two nights, not getting to sleep until 7am or so.

One of these nights I cooked for the first time since I've been back, and made something alright. You know we're always looking for fish recipes that complement our variety of inexpensive frozen fish available across the street, and that are subtly tweakable enough to use on a very regular basis.

One variety that has been unexplored until now is the frozen tuna filet, primarily because it's so inexpensive that I assumed it wasn't any good. After trying it, I'm not saying that I'm going to be serving it sashimi-style anytime soon, but it was completely doable as a fully cooked piece of fish.

I was inspired by a brandade recipe for the flavors, but there are no purees anywhere in the presentation. The potatoes are (or should have been) mandoline-cut and they provide the non-stick underneath layer for the fish to bake upon. Everything is pretty well-lubricated with an infused olive oil (1/2 cup olive oil, 10 minute simmer with a thyme branch, 2 garlic cloves, and 2 bay leaves). After the baking, drizzle with minced capers and a tart and nutty brown butter/balsamic sauce (not pictured). It sounds a little bit like overkill, but like I said, the fish itself is not amazing, so a little flav-o-rizing is just what you need.

No comments: