15.2.08

behind the scenes.

















I had a prep cook Wednesday afternoon for the first time in a long while, and it's a keeper of an idea. I don't know how chefs take credit for anything with one of these babies around: she made the perfect foccacia dough, dug the pulp out of my navelinas (?), grated an ungrateably soft cheddar cheese, chopped 7,000 mushrooms, provided general cuteness, etc. It barely even seems like I cooked.

Refreshingly, I didn't have time to obsess about the menu, so there was at least one thing on there that I don't think I normally would've made. This is straight out of June Cleaver's kitchen.

+++

cheddar-peppadew spread with horseradish.

2 cups finely grated Cheddar
1/2 cup to 1 cup diced Peppadew peppers from a jar, drained
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp prepared horseradish, drained
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Ratchet up the amount of peppers to suit your need for tanginess.

Makes slightly less than 2 cups. Serve with melba toasts or other not-too-salty cracker.

+++

No comments: