31.3.08

lightness.















Trying to "eat light" this week. Not like that. Like this: a combination of the prune confit recipe I've been talking about and some Epicurious lentil salad recipe. Surprisingly good, since 1) this is very healthy eating, and 2) I basically just crashed these two recipes into each other. Even J the PB liked it.

+++

du puy lentil salad with feta, mint, and prune + shallot confit.

+++

300 gr pitted prunes
300 gr shallots, peeled, left whole
3 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled
a little water
2 handfuls almonds, toasted

1 cup du puy lentils
water to cover by 1 inch
4 tbsp wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp olive oil

2 handfuls field greens
2 tbsp fresh mint, minced
2 tbsp feta, crumbled

Full instructions to follow.

For confit, brown shallots in olive oil for 5 minutes or so. Add prunes, garlic, and 2 tbsp water. Simmer at lowest heat possible until prunes fall apart, adding 1 or 2 tbsp water as necessary to prevent sticking, burning, etc. This should take an hour or so. Add almonds and cook for 5 more minutes.

Serves 2.

+++

UPDATE: Slightly less light? Prune confit on buttered toast. I see a future chock full of prune confit. Chomp.

+++

2 comments:

Klary Koopmans said...

I bet that prune stuff would be really good with pork or a steak...

MEM said...

This prune stuff would be good on lots of things, but I think pork is probably Target Numero Uno. We are having a non-pork week here, so I have no way to be sure.

But I really do see myself making the prune stuff very regularly, so I'm sure we'll find out!