24.6.08

komro komro tapoe asing.

















No I haven't swallowed my tongue. That's the name of this Surinamese pickle in its native language.

I don't love cucumbers, which means that they are a member of a very select group of foodstuffs which I do not normally enjoy eating. Let's look at that list right now.

1) Tomato juice
2) Cucumbers

As I said, select. Tomato juice gets the number one spot because there are no circumstances under which I truly enjoy it, though in an emergency I can force my way through a Bloody Mary or three. But I make a face the whole time.

Cucumbers, however, can be enjoyed as pickles. I like pickles very much. Below is a pickle recipe that I will be making all summer long because it goes with everything. These proportions need a bit more testing, but this is pretty close to what I've been doing.

+++

cucumber/papaya pickle.

2 cucumbers, sliced in your favorite picklish formation
1 cup papaya, or less, diced
1 red onion, chopped
6 pimiento berries or 1/2 tsp ground allspice
8 cloves or 1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup or more coconut vinegar
1 or 2 tbsp ginger syrup
1 or 2 tsp Surinamese mango chutney
1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste

Combine.
I love saying that!
Refrigerate.
Wait 1 day, then adjust salt to taste, and eat.

+++

The moody photo at the top is from our dinner at Mamouche last week. A mixed experience, not bad, but definitely not worth the money. Mara's food in particular looked beautiful but didn't taste like much (this is a salad of raw tuna and scallops).


















+++

No comments: