24.6.09

my brothers.













Today I once again found myself hungry and directly in front of a BBQ place.

Coincidence? Not wholly. Since I
knew
thought I was going to be tasting some purportedly-good BBQ in the next few days, I figured I would create a control by tasting the BBQ I've eaten the most of, Williamson Bros. The historical reason for this spectacular devotion is one-fold: Williamson Bros. is about 1 minute away from our old house.

In brief, let me say that, as with Sonny's, something has changed. Though in this case I fear it may be my palate (a lot can happen in 10 years). The best thing I can say about my BBQ pork platter is that it met the needs of my BBQ craving. Their sauce isn't bad, and though the pork itself was dry, it was real BBQ. My choice of sides (fried okra and cole slaw) warranted a couple of bites each and that was it. My official rating is a 6.5/10.0: worth the 1-minute drive, but any further and I could easily have been disappointed.








5 comments:

Klary Koopmans said...

the thing that strikes me the most is the 1 minute drive.. America, America...

MEM said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I may have exaggerated...it would be a 4-minute drive if I had one of those futuristic devices that allowed me to control the traffic lights. Which I don't. But for America? That's still a very short drive to get some BBQ.

Klary Koopmans said...

no, the striking thing was getting in the car for a drive that would only last 1 minute.
a very clear sign you're not in Amsterdam anymore.

MEM said...

Ah, yes, I can see how it might read that way. In fact it does read that way. But: like my Sonny's meal, I was on my way to a more distant destination when the Williamson Bros. craving struck...

Nonetheless, it is a completely true statement that walking to Williamson Bros. would most likely result in death or serious injury. Not a pedestrian-friendly stretch of road.

MEM said...

By the way, Mara knew exactly what you were talking about regarding walking vs. driving. She claims that it's because she's "down with Klary Koopmans".