9.7.09

on fitsum.







Here's the Wikipedia entry for Eritrean food until I get a chance to say anything other than Fenan Very Good. I could go back again tonight.

Sorry for the above photo, which looks rather like attractively-arranged barf. But I was among non-food-photographers last night and my culinary snaps were taken infrequently and with extreme nonchalance.

I think my favorite thing about the food at Fenan is that every single thing on the platter tastes good: even the salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce isn't the decorative afterthought that it can sometimes be, it's dressed in a well-considered and perfectly seasoned vinaigrette.

Andy is tight with the owner, Fitsum (who I didn't realize was our server last visit), and so I found out that Fitsum's wife normally does the cooking while he waits tables. However, last night he was doing the cooking, and I thought it was every bit as good, possibly better.

After the restaurant was closed, Fitsum came and sat with those of us who were still conscious and helped us reduce the volumes of port and whiskey that Andy received for his birthday...oy.

+++

Since the Birthday Boy picked up last night's dinner (a fantastic tradition), that leaves us free to spend even more money that we don't have on tonight's dinner: Issa, a Japanese place near the Olympic Stadium.

+++

























And then, much later...


No comments: