11.7.09

the silver skillet.



I was just recommending the Silver Skillet to Zora, thinking I was tipping her off to a hidden gem, and then I unearth this little segment from the Food Network...I had no idea they'd gotten famous (though the new T-shirts for sale on their website should have been a hint).

I've probably mentioned this, but I used to eat breakfast at the Skillet all the time back when I had a real job: it was just down the street from a large, very large, ok, the biggest soft-drink manufacturer in the world. I had to visit them a couple of times a week, always wearing a navy blue or charcoal gray SUIT (and TIE, though this could include colors as racy as maroon or mustard), because there was a fucking DRESS CODE, in the blasting sauna of a sunny Atlanta summertime...goddamn, did that suck.

But the breakfasts were good. Biscuits! Jelly! Bacon! Ham! Grits! Gravy! At the time though, I have to admit I really didn't have any idea that there was anything unusually special about the Skillet. It was conveniently located, the food was good, the waitresses were real sweet, and it felt like a real place with real people and a bit of history, and I liked all of that. I guess maybe that's rare enough these days to warrant a visit from FN.

+++

Just heard that Ann's Snack Bar might be passing into new hands, sorry I missed it.

+++

No comments: