26.10.09

sunday my shrimps will come.













Let's see. Maybe you're realizing, as am I, that this particular road trip is not going to be about food. Or like, "just chilling out". Frankly, it's mostly been about jetlag and malware (Cole and Dylan are now almost as obsessed as I am with "the hackers" and what they're doing to my computer). And now it's starting to be the tiniest bit about Travis picking, out of dire necessity.

Here's half a recipe for a soup I made today, which I did because we bought an assload of poblano peppers a couple of days ago. I wanted to make a "healthy" corn chowder, and....I don't know if that's even a reasonable concept. This one definitely needs a little more something bad. Could be cheese, or cream. Or, less bad, possibly shrimp. Or scallops.

+++

roasted poblano and corn chowder with bacon and chives.

+++

1 large sweet onion
115 grams butter
a few sprigs of thyme or like a tsp dried
4 poblano chiles, less if they're really hot
1 potato, peeled
8 slices bacon, cooked (4 for eating while cooking)
2 cups corn
4 cups chicken broth

2 tbsp maple syrup
salt and pepper
dash of chipotle adobo

big handful of shredded sharp cheddar
as many chopped chives as it takes to achieve chiveheid, in my case it was maybe half a cup, basically lots

+++

No comments: