17.1.10

brown butter victory.













Taking a quick break from slaving over a hot sampler to tie up some loose ends...

-There's a lot I didn't know about Dirk van den Broek.

-Had another meal at Lab 111 last night (and will probably have a few more since we're working in the building for the next two weeks), a great scallop and beet appetizer and an pleasant-enough snoekbaars with pappardelle. Hilly's entree was dorade with gnocchi, also fine but a bit boring. Their starters have always been better than their entrees...

-Don't have time to write properly, but thought I would follow up on the Corn-Off from Thursday.

I learned a few things: 1) I am not a baker. My performance in kitchen was a masterpiece of slapstick comedy, I wish the cameras had been rolling. By the time I got the first pan in the oven, I had dirtied approximately 40 pieces of kitchen equipment and would have set off the smoke alarm if we had one.

2) Cornbread smells great. My next project is to make a pillow out of it.

3) Both recipes were tasty, but I must say, the Best Ever Cornbread recipe from Herbivoracious might just be the best Best Ever Cornbread recipe ever. It was really really good. But: the next time I make it I'll be using a much higher ratio of cornmeal to flour to achieve something less cakey and more corny. Cause I'm a Southern Man.

+++

4 comments:

Michael @ Herbivoracious.com said...

Nice! I'm glad you liked the brown butter version. I think you could go up to a 3:1 cornbread:flour ratio if you like crumbly and more corn flavor.

MEM said...

I did like it a bunch. The other cornbread I made that evening had 1 cup of cornmeal to 2 tbsp of flour...not crumbly at all, and definitely corny. But a totally different beast than the brown butter goodness. Thanks for the good eatin'!

Lara said...

Looks great! Glad it turned out well.

MEM said...

Hey Lara...that's actually not it...that's the unsweetened south(west)ern cornbread, but...the other one looked great too! thanks for stopping by...