3.5.10

tying up.


















So, just to pull together the last remaining London bits: on Wednesday we ate almost exclusively home-cooked food, although we did have lunch at a Giraffe down on the South Bank. Why? They're kid-friendly, which is never a reason to eat anywhere. I had "huevos rancheros" and a Red Stripe.

I made dinner, three fish dishes. For starters, a room temp tuna, white bean, raisin, almond, mint salad based on this, and those old chilled smoked mackerel rilettes on toast. After that an experimental fillet of very lightly cumin-dusted plaice with caramelized fennel, garlic leaves, and tomato-orange bulgur, not something I would normally make. It was OK...I was trying to use up the dregs of their weekly CSA box because another one was due the next morning.

+++

On Tuesday, I'd spent a lot of time in the East End and found it to be my favorite part of the city so far. This picture is from Electricity Showrooms in Shoreditch, a nice place to rest your exploited feet for 20 minutes or so.














On Thursday, I went to Borough Market, got a haircut at Mr. Toppers, then cruised over the East End and after ambling about for a while, took a long walk out past Banglatown and out into Commercial Rd. Completely accidentally, I stumbled across a Tayyab's that was not packed. I'd read that this was some of the best Pakistani Punjabi food in the city, and that there was always a wait to get in. So, it being dinner time, me being hungry, etc.

I had a lamb saag, and it was interesting and good, totally unlike any lamb saag I've had before in that it wasn't an ocean of creamy or buttery spinach: the spinach was minimal and sported more recognizable components than your average overprocessed green goop.

It wasn't exactly an enjoyable meal though...the place is terribly crowded and they're really in a hurry to get you in and out. I could take it or leave it.

+++

No comments: