11.2.12

acquisitions/research.























I don't know what I imagined. I thought I vaguely remembered lots and lots of wonderful and healthy non-wheat-based grains and snack products at the Natuurwinkel, but I guess that's because I wasn't actually shopping for them at the time.

In reality: from a grain perspective, there's quinoa, rice, buckwheat, amaranth, and millet. I'm still quinoa-shy from a couple of stomachaches a couple years ago; rice I find nutritionally suspicious; amaranth I generally find to have a gross and alien texture. That leaves buckwheat and millet, both of which I bought, along with kale, almond butter, and a couple other things for normal eating.

+++

I also bought some "just in case" foods. For example, what happens if I start panicking about never having a marginally-edible goo-filled chocolate cupcake ever again? How will I know if these things exist in a gluten-free world? I had to test one of the snack products to see just how disappointed I would be at this future emergency date (see above and bottom).

Below: again, more emergency supplies.


+++

Now, this. Not exactly bad. I give it a 4 out of 10, which goes up to a 6.5/10 if you only eat the gooey center and throw the rest away, as I eventually did. In any case, this is obviously not a "regular" snack: it's just as unhealthy as any other highly-processed thing, nutritionless and hydrogenated, it's just that the grains in question here are corn and rice flours.

Conclusion: not really worth eating.















UPDATE: Emergency noodles also tasted (buckwheat/sweet potato). They cook in 4 minutes, had them with scallions, furikake, sriracha, and a pat of butter. Everything's going to be just fine.

+++

No comments: