22.2.12

kiss myself.

I just killed about 19 birds with one stone, a pancake-shaped, gluten-free wondrous stone of flax and almond flour. This is by no means a perfected recipe, but it was deeply satisfying and met all of my other requirements too.

But I must warn you: don't go all thinking you're going to make these for brunch or something without trying them yourself beforehand (or, if you do think you're going to do that, please make Elana's recipe instead, below). They're not like regular pancakes. On my first and only try so far, the texture was, mmm....Not exactly mushy, but floppy? Like you couldn't throw one of these, frisbee-like, across the room and have it retain its shape like you can with normal pancakes (sometimes you even come across a pancake that retains its shape so thoroughly that you can pick it up again and whizz it back at the person who threw it at you first).

But these, ze taste. Is good. And they's healthy. And what are you doing throwing pancakes around the room anyway, you fucking infant.

The original concept came from Elana, but someone in the Comments section over there suggested using ground flaxseed and water as an egg replacement, and my little eyes suddenly filled with the pancake equivalent of dollar signs. You know what I mean. Pancake cartoons.

Any any way. This recipe makes a lot of pancakes so scale appropriately: Or: I was only one person so maybe it just seemed like it would've been a lot. Whatever, I did a third of it and it made like three big silver dollar pancakes. WTF, I don't know what I'm talking about. Use your best judgement.

+++

almond-flax silver dollar pancakes.

3 tbsp flaxseed
9 tbsp hot water

1 tbsp water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp honey

1 + 1/2 cups almond flour
¼ tsp salt
(¼ tsp baking soda) I didn't use this
2-3 tbsp yoghurt (I used Greek)
as much cinnamon as seems prudent for your tastes, I could also imagine cardamom working here, or well, shit, let's just use the whole spice rack

butter or coconut oil for cooking

+++

Many people who made this recipe on Elana's site said that it burned very quickly, I did not have that problem at all, but then again I was not using eggs, I was using "eggs". Real quick, to make the "eggs", combine the flaxseed and hot water and process until the seeds are broken down. These are your "eggs".

(UPDATE: I made another batch, and totally burned them. Be careful.)

Combine the 1 tbsp water, the honey, and vanilla in a bowl. Add the processed flaxseed, the almond flour, salt, and cinnamon and/or cardamom, and stir to make a batter. Add yoghurt until batter is, ehhh....like a thick pancake batter I guess. Mine was very thick, not pourable. But the final product tasted good texture-wise.

Heat fat in non-stick pan, drop large tablespoons of batter in pan and fry 2 minutes per side or so. Top with a syrup of your choosing. I chose maple. Boink.

+++

No comments: