14.4.12

pachadi?

















Indian food last night. How can anyone be in a bad mood with Indian food in the house? I just had some chickpeas with eggs and raita and green chiles for breakfast and I now want to do this every day.

Last night's newcomer (along with oldcomers jalfrezi, chana masala, peshwari naan, and raita) was this southern Indian thing possibly called pachadi, very unusual but comforting somehow, I guess cause it reminds me of the Keralan food I used to eat in Atlanta.

The below recipe is untested, but it's something like what I did last night.

+++

keralan green bean pachadi. 

400 g green beans, sliced diagonally into 3 cm pieces
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 or 2 small green chillis, chopped fine
10 curry leaves (if available)
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of turmeric
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 cup dried coconut
1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
a little water if necessary

+++

No comments: