3.9.12

labor day.



Flexeril still working wonders on my sleep, I feel like a new man, or at least the man I was a few weeks ago.

Today is Labor Day in America, a holiday which for many people involves grilling large pieces of meat outdoors and highly social get-togethers with ze family and friends. And obviously drinking copious amounts of low-impact beer. I will only be doing the family social option b/c it is way too hot outside to grill during the day here. And because, well, this is a wine household.

AND, because some voracious-type meat-eaters are coming over today, I slow-cooked a giant pork shoulder last night (pictured below, vegetarians and temporarily vegan dad avert your eyes) and this morning I am metamorphosizin' it into green chile pork using those fresh-roasted Bueno New Mexican chiles from a few posts ago. I flat-out done stole some recipe ideas from a lot of places and what's happening seems pretty good so far, so I'm going to make a note or two below.
























+++

green chile pork.

2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp chipotle chile powder
1 tbsp ancho chile powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper


one 3.5lb boneless pork shoulder


juice of 3 limes
1 dark beer
1 cup chicken broth
3 large onions, chopped

two thingies green chiles
smoked sea salt
ground black pepper
whole cumin seeds, toasted and ground, to taste
3 to 6 cloves garlic, pressed


+++

Make a rub from the first six ingredients and rub it into the pork. Brown pork on all sides, I did mine on the grill. Put pork and limes, beer, broth, and onions in a crock pot, cover, and cook in a 325F oven for 3.5 or 4 hours. I let mine cool overnight in the fridge.

Next morning, shred your pork, a little or a lot. Return pork to pan/pot, taste to correct seasoning and then add garlic and reduce over low heat for as long as it takes to taste right.

+++

No comments: