3.12.12

happy hollandaise.

I'm moving this up because a) I keep thinking of things we should bring and not writing them down, and b) I shouldn't be posting too much new stuff anyway for a little while, internet ban and what not.

+++

This New Year's Eve looks like it will be a bit different from the last several in that I will not be in the hellish warzone audio environment of Amsterdam I don't think.

No I will be "getting away from it all", gathering in a remote and most likely frigid part of the world with some of my favorite people for a week of intrigue and chicanery. Behold:


View Ameland in a larger map

Zoom out a few clicks to taste the desolation. I was just kidding about the chicanery, probably the intrigue too. We will definitely endure some walks on the beach, wandering in the forest, and I imagine the relatively constant presence of one or more intoxicants.

 +++

Cooking should be a small adventure, there's no oven, only a gas stovetop and a microwave. There's a real bakery about 2km from the house, and a full-service fishmonger. We should have cockles. I should bring my skillet, zester, and vegetable peeler. I think I want to cook some things out of Cooking of Southwest France, though it's not the most vegetarian of cookbooks. Salmon rilettes? Artichokes stuffed with artichoke relish and parmesan. How to melt the parmesan. Blowtorch? It will require some planning. I should bring some Pernod for cockles. Hilly should bring those fucking brownies. Smoked mozzarella. That's why we have posts like this.

+++

Official list of things to bring: Scrabble; Pictionary; deck of cards; juicer, cheese grater, skillet; staff mixer/chopper; zester; ramekins, peeler; risotto pan; sumac; walnut oil; treacle; dates; maple syrup; fresh tarragon; smoked mozzarella; fresh rosemary and sage; grits; smoked paprika; fennel seed; cumin seed; cardamom; caraway seed; fresh nutmeg. Parmesan? The Good Olive Oil. Six blood oranges. A big bag of good almonds. Tartare aux algues. GF crackers. That French pumpkin marmalade. Swedish herring. Vacuum-packed chestnuts. Pernod. Armagnac. Black hash. Maybe a knife. Blowtorch. Glad we're not flying.

+++

Directions I'd like to maybe go in, including possibilities for if we bring an oven.
+++

No comments: