16.10.13

eggs v. eggs.

I had a very unusual day with my fellow American sufferer Phil yesterday. At 11am I was sitting at his breakfast table eating the best omelette I've had in a long time. This in itself is awesomely unusual, that I would be at someone's house for a non-work-related event before noon. Then we talked about Schopenhauer for about 45 minutes and I finally read some of On The Sufferings of The World, about 30 years later than I should've read it (it feels very wrong to get such comfort out of something called "Studies in Pessimism"). A taste for you:
The pleasure in this world, it has been said, outweighs the pain; or, at any rate, there is an even balance between the two. If the reader wishes to see shortly whether this statement is true, let him compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is engaged in eating the other.
Then we went to the Stedelijk Museum via our Museumcards and looked at art for a while, my favorite things I saw being Willink, Calder and Breitner. Then we went and played pool for a couple hours at Sound Garden. Then off to see the Ellington band in the evening. I say off to see, but yes I mean downstairs. In other words, kind of what you'd think would be a perfect Tuesday, the kind that should happen way more often.

Unfortunately we don't have any pictures of any of it b/c my SD card picked yesterday to officially finish falling apart, and the only other ones I can find are like 16mb. Here's the omelette as described by to me by Phil. It doesn't look like much on paper, but it was really quite something.

+++

eggs with eggs. 

1 strip of bacon, diced fine
1 large cremini mushroom, diced fine
1 pinch thyme
2 tbsp butter

1 egg
2 tbsp medium-age cheese, shredded, Phil used a belegen Gouda or maybe a mild cheddar would work too

2 tbsp caviar, he used this suuuuper great herring caviar from Marqt (where his girlfriend works, so they basically have discounted access to everything), I must procure some for myself. But said he'd used other caviars with just about equal success.

freshly cracked black pepper

Saute your bacon and mushroom and thyme rather slowly in the butter, maybe 10 minutes. Throw the egg in the pan, cook for 30 seconds, flip it, add the cheese, close, and plate with the caviar and black pepper on top.

+++

No comments: