7.10.13

endless sunrise.

















After a challenging transitional period suddenly we're at that figuratively fresh-faced "new" place (again) where, ok, if at this jaded old age we can't stupidly optimistically declare that "anything is possible", we can at least say that "some things seem possible". And that, my dear tiny and not-so-tiny friends, is, well, as we say around here, a vas deferens.

It basically adds up to a comparative and self-aware split-second yay (a la Cage/Kaufman's split-second yay in Adaptation, which is impossible get a purely joyful-looking screencap of), and so if we were to think to ourselves how best to represent that yayness via a diet-compliant breakfast full of the nutrition necessary to power us through today's task list without weighing us down too much, we might turn to the much-ballyhooed Sriracha Oatmeal, which I also found very difficult to get a joyful-looking screencap of as you can see above.

I first heard about this via my dad, who recommended it via email, which is quite an endorsement as he's not a big emailer and when we're not together I'm pretty sure we usually don't talk about food at all. That was four months ago or something, and yeah I just haven't had the right moment to try it. I try it now, using my below adaptation, no I'm not even trying to reference the previous paragraph there's just not a more accurate word.














+++

sriracha oatmeal.

This was totally edible as written, and got more edible as I got closer to the bottom of my bowl where the almonds and rosemary were hanging out. It was nose-runningly spicy, but in that good way.

The only thing I could immediately imagine improving it would be something a little umami-y, a word we don't like to use, in fact it's not even a word, but as we know from last paragraph sometimes there's not a more accurate etc etc etc. I do wonder if the always awesome almond pangrattato would be a smart addition (they have almonds and rosemary in common, and I think a little anchovy would not be out of place in this mix). And/or maybe a tiny pat of butter on top when serving, which brings up the only problem with this recipe as written: if you were to eat both servings that would be like 950 calories, which, if you're CRONing is more than half a day's calories. If you're me, better to make a half-recipe.

1 cup real oats (not instant IOW)
2 cups water
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
1 tbsp soy sauce (seemed like a lot, but it ended up being right)
1 tbsp sriracha
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 tsp dried
1 clove garlic, minced

1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste

chopped scallions
toasted sesame seeds or maybe pangrattato instead

Combine oats, almonds, soy sauce, sriracha, rosemary and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes. When oatmeal is just about done, fry your egg(s), I really only do mine about a minute a side if that. Plate or if "bowl" is a usable verb in this context, "bowl" your oatmeal and top with an egg and the obligatory green scatter and probably more sriracha I imagine. Serves 2.

+++

No comments: