9.4.14

khichdi.

Ja so I'm making the same thing for dinner I made last night, not something that happens much around here unless we've purchased an Econosize something from somewhere. And thus I figure this recipe might be worth jotting down.

It sounds like hippie food, but it has a surprisingly complex thing happening: the surprise ingredient is the split yellow lentils, they have a very pleasant toothsomeness if you don't overcook them. Well also the fennel seed, it's an ingredient that has really grown on me over the past year or so. OK wow all very exciting yes.

Supposedly this is Ayurveda food, extremely thrilling for your digestion: I didn't notice anything startling myself this morning, but maybe two days of it will prove educational and/or stimulating. I'm really just likee how it TASTEE (though it looks like, well, only slightly less gross than this ill-advised serving option).

+++

kichadi.

1 cup yellow split mung beans
2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp ground turmeric
3 tbsp coconut

2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 liter boiling water
2 large carrots, sliced into rounds or whatever shape floats your boat
1 sweet potato, skin on, diced medium
1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
1/2 cup to 1 cup kale or spinach, chopped

1 cup cooked basmati rice

cilantro, chopped
lime juice, squozen

So I didn't follow the original recipe's instructions except for the part where you take your (in my case unsoaked) mung beans and coat them in the oil, then add fennel, cumin and turmeric and fry for 5 minutes or so, taking care not to burn your seeds. Then I added the water and ginger and cooked for 25 minutes or so until lentils were almost done. Then I added sweet potato and carrot and cooked for another 20 minutes. Then I added the cooked rice at the end and re-seasoned. Then I et it. 

+++

No comments: